Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Freewrite: December 01, 2010

Our question was about the human nature that Dickens describes and how it compares to modern human nature. I think that human nature both now and in the Tale of Two Cities are pretty close to the same. In TTC, the people seek revenge against those who rule over them and the country because of their horrible living conditions. I think that even now people would react like that. I think people can try to act like they don't care about something or like it doesn't affect them for a while, but when the trouble comes too close to home, that's when people get defensive. I think people will kind of put themselves out there for a cause, but will only fully commit themselves to it when it will save someone they love or care deeply about. Dickens' idea of human nature, or at least the portrayal of that, seems kind of evil and dark with a nice cover over the top. I think in his mind, some people can act nicely, but most are not and will do anything to get revenge. I'm not sure that the world is exactly like that today, but I think that people will revolt once something gets too close. A good example for me is politics and government. I think that people will take a lot of things from the government, but once something hits too close to home and affects something they don't want it to, they will revolt or fight back.

WORD COUNT: 250

No comments:

Post a Comment