Monday, November 29, 2010

Freewrite: November 29, 2010

So, last Friday was Black Friday. I was recently hired by Bass Pro and one of the things that I had to do was work sometime that day. I chose to work in the morning so I could get the experience of crazy shoppers and seeing what it was all about. It was crazy. I guess there were people lined up around quarter to 5, and the store didn't even open until 6. I got there around 5:15 and got ready and got to my cashier station. It was kind of stressful because my supervisors and coworkers were kind of stressed, but it was fun trying to imagine what the day was going to be like. When the doors opened at 6, people came flying through the doors. People were running from either entrance trying to get to the things they wanted most. Around ten minutes went by and I had my first customer to ring up on my own. A lot of them had vouchers for items they would pick up later, but a lot of stuff was really cheap so people would fill carts and check out. The day was insane. It went by really quickly, too. I think my highest total was around $500... something I cannot imagine spending at a store like Bass Pro, but a lot of people did it. There were tons of really good deals. I got a few breaks, but they went by really quickly and didn't really give me a break. There were lines going out to the middle of the store and people trying to squeeze in everywhere else, so there wasn't really any room for anyone else. I had a few people ask me the locations of things in the store, and I felt really helpless because as a new employee, I really didn't know where anything was! It was awful. The day ended up being really fun, though, and I was exhausted at the end. I went home and took a nap! That was my first Black Friday experience :)

WORD COUNT: 342

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like so much fun! :)) I think it would be really neat to work (anywhere) on Black Friday. People are crazy, and there whole experience will usually be based on whether their cashier was hateful or a joy. :)

    ReplyDelete