I have been thinking a lot this weekend about what I want to do with my life. I know for sure that I want to get married, go to college, have kids, etc., but I have been a little thrown off my path when it comes to deciding what my career will be. I was reading the News-Leader on Sunday morning and the main articles were about the homeless and how they were shelterless as well. In the Springfield area, there is not a place for them to stay year-round. The only time they have a place to stay is when the weather is below 20 degrees! That seems really insufficient and sad to me. The articles were talking about how Springfield could really use a shelter that would be open all year for the homeless to stay- and one that would be boundary-less as well. That would mean that all types of people could stay there- men, women, children, drug addicts, drunks, etc. Right now, the churches and other places that sponsor the emergency shelters have boundaries regarding who can stay there, so they are really in need of someone to open a shelter that will not have the boundaries and just let all who need a place to stay for a while come. As I thought about it, it actually seemed like something I would be interested in doing. I know it would be a ton of hard work, but it would be so rewarding knowing that I am helping people who can't help the situation they are in. I also know that I was thinking of leaning more towards helping teen moms, but I think helping in general is what will make me happy. I need some more freewrite time and a chat with Mr. Grauf to see what exactly I would need to do to prepare for a career in non- profit business/shelters :)
WORD COUNT: 318
No comments:
Post a Comment