Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Freewrite: January 26, 2011

I have recently been thinking a lot about what I really want to do with my life (because of the newspaper article the other day)... and I think I've found something that fits me better than teaching. Although I love teaching, I think what I love about it is the fact that I'm working with kids and helping to make them better. However, I don't think teaching is the way I want to impact childrens' lives. I think I want to be a social worker at a place like the Pregnancy Care Center. I want to talk with people that are going to be parents and have either chosen to keep their children or give them up for adoption. I think that social work can open a lot more doors for working the type of job that I see myself working. I see myself working with troubled youth, and even more, I see myself working with pregnant teens, teen parents, and their children. I want to help provide them with things they wouldn't have had otherwise like resources for child care and things like diapers, wipes, and bottles. I don't just want to work with the teens that have accepting parents and a good support system- in fact, I'd rather not work with them. I want to work with the kids whose parents don't support their decision or teens who just have no place to turn. I want to be that place, and I think social work can really help me with that. Although I love teaching and I love the kids that I work with when I cadet teach, I really think that I can impact more lives the way I want to if I were to become a social worker. I'm pretty excited :)

WORD COUNT: 296

No comments:

Post a Comment