SLAM! The car door shuts, closing in the closest thing I'd ever had to a sister. I cannot remember a lot about that day, but I remember the feeling. As a foster family, my family had taken in many kids before, during, and after we had Jasmine. She had come to us when she was about two months old, meaning we had her for about a year and a half before she moved to live with her biological aunt in another state. We had many kids before that who had been there for at least that long and some even longer, so it should not have been a shock or super-emotional event when she left, but she was different. I had really bonded to her and really hoped she would be the one to stay with us. Several children had left our homes that had meant a lot to us, like Caleb (we had him for 3 years), Rebecca (we had her for 3 years also), and Bri (we had her for a couple years). When they left, it was emotional, but we more or less got over it. I guess I eventually got over Jasmine leaving, but it was the hardest departure that I had ever been a part of. However, the story gets better.
We got a call from Jasmine's biological aunt about a year later, something I didn't know about until a meeting a little while later. She had decided that Jasmine needed more extended family than she could give her, and wanted to know if we would like to take Jasmine back into our family so that she could be loved by more than just a few people. My parents considered this, and took into consideration our opinions also. They asked, "Would you like a little sister?" I said yes, thinking I would soon be getting a baby sister. I was wrong- we soon drove up to meet this family so that we could get Jasmine- aka Jenna- and bring her back home. We adopted her when she was four- she is now ten, almost eleven. She can be a little crazy at times, but I wouldn't trade her for anyone else.
WORD COUNT: 366
No comments:
Post a Comment